Conversion Coating & Rust Protection
Corrosion inhibitors include conversion coatings and rust inhibitors applied to metal surfaces to prevent rust. These chemicals offer rust protection by coating or altering the surface of metals to seal out moisture and improve coating adhesion. Corrosion protection is typically used during product storage and before painting or finishing to improve the longevity of metal parts.
NuGenTec’s conversion coating and rust protection products are specially designed for superior performance in all applications. Our corrosion protection formulas are low odor, easy to use and provide a safer, eco-friendlier alternative to harsh chemicals. We offer a variety of formulas, including phosphate conversion coatings (Iron Phosphate), water-soluble rust inhibitors, and water displacing rust inhibitors that provide temporary indoor and long-term rust protection for ferrous and non-ferrous metals
Conversion Coatings for Surface Preparation & Corrosion Protection
Conversion coatings are primer chemicals that alter the surface of a metals, like iron and steel, to create a superficial molecular layer that helps improve paint adhesion by converting the metal cubic structure to an amorphous one, thereby improving adhesion of amophour coatings like paints and enamels, etc. These chemical coatings also provide rust protection by preventing painted or coated surface from allowing corrosion to undercut the coatings.
- NuKoat 33MF: A low foam, low temperature spray that is Moly free and HF free. This one-step spray is compatible with steel, galvanized steel, zinc, and aluminum.
- NuKoat 55: An HF and Moly free conversion coating offered in low foam and no foam formulas. Suitable for galvanized steel, zinc, and aluminum surfaces.
- NuKoat 47: Low foam and low temperature conversion coating for ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- NuKoat 53MF: Low foam, one-step cleaning and conversion coating for steel, galvanized steel, zinc, and aluminum. Moly and HF free.
- Ultra Seal 1: A no foam, chrome-free final rinse and seal for iron and zinc phosphate coatings.
Select from over a dozen phosphate conversion coating formulas, including low foam and no foam options. Typical applications include sliding glass doors, filing cabinets, street signs, outdoor grills, license plates, and more.
Zinc Phosphate Conversion CoatingsZinc phosphate conversion coatings are harsher than iron phosphate corrosion inhibitors and not as popular for general use applications. These phosphate conversion coatings provide better spray adhesion but do require waste treatment and hazardous waste disposal.
Zinc phosphate chemical conversion coatings are primarily used in Military and Defense applications requiring adherence to MIL-SPEC requirements. Contact us to discuss your MIL-SPEC requirements and available formulas.
We offer two conversion coating formulas:
- NuKoat CCC: A conversion coating formulated for the touch-up and corrosion repair process of magnesium alloys. This product meets SAE AMS-M-3171, Type VI specifications.
- NuKoat Ultra Seal: A chrome-free final seal for iron or zinc phosphate conversion coatings that improves powder or paint adhesion.
Water Soluble and Water Displacing Rust InhibitorsRust inhibitors provide corrosion protection by slowing the oxidation process in metals and alloys. These water-based products are formulated to provide temporary rust protection during storage or between processes and are not intended for long-term rust proofing.
Water Soluble Rust Inhibitors and Corrosion ProtectionWater-soluble rust and corrosion inhibitors are non-oil based and formulated for use on steel, cast iron, and other metals. While easy to clean and remove, the water-soluble nature of these corrosion inhibitors makes them suitable for indoor use only. We offer formulas that keep products corrosion free for up to four months.
Our water-soluble rust protection formulas include:
- AquaKlean: A non-nitrated, silicate-free cleaner and rust inhibitor formulated for use on ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- NuGenTec NR11: A mildly alkaline, sodium nitrite based indoor rust preventative for ferrous metals.
- NuKoat SO7: A water-soluble oil rust preventative that is emulsifiable and non-staining for use on ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- NuKoat 911B: A non-nitrated, non-caustic, silicate-free, amine-free, non-aqueous liquid corrosion inhibitor explicitly formulated for brass and copper.
- NuKoat RP220: An aqueous, non-nitrated liquid rust inhibitor designed for protecting ferrous metals during in-process operations that require temporary rust inhibition.
- NuKoat RP10: A non-nitrated, non-caustic, silicate-free liquid cleaner/rust inhibitor featuring an amine-based formula along with the addition of a special inhibitor package.
Water Displacing Rust Inhibitors and Corrosion PreventativesWater displacing rust inhibitors have a thick, oil-like consistency that displaces water when a product is dipped in the solution. These formulas require degreasers to remove the thick coating and offer better outdoor corrosion protection than water-soluble formulas, with some products providing protection for up to six months.
Typical applications for water displacing corrosion protection include railroad tracks, construction beams, and other products stored outdoors before shipping. We offer the following formulas:
- NuKoat IPO: A non-emulsifiable, non-staining rust protection formula that is safe to use with ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- NuKoat HPO: Provides high flash rust protection for in-process and outdoor storage. Safe to use with ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Semiconductor Grade Corrosion Inhibitors and Corrosion ProtectionSemiconductor grade corrosion inhibitors prevent galvanic corrosion in mixed circuits and are widely used by the computer disc drive industry. Our rust proofing formulas for semiconductor applications include:
- NuKoat RP1: Contains a unique blend of multiple azoles and a proprietary corrosion inhibitor for keeping GMR heads and copper interconnects corrosion free.
- NuKoat RPWF: A formula containing multiple azoles and a proprietary corrosion inhibitor for unmatched corrosion protection in semiconductor devices and Read/Write heads.