Iron Phosphate Conversion Coatings
Pre-paint conversion coatings for Aluminum, Iron and SteelIron phosphate coatings are chemical coatings applied to metal surfaces before painting. Phosphating causes a reaction that changes the molecular structure of the surface, providing up to 1,000 times better paint adhesion than an untreated metal surface.
Proper paint adhesion is crucial for preventing chipping and bubbling that lead to corrosion under the painted surface. Application methods vary but typically involve using a sprayer or dipping the metal in phosphating solution, depending on the size of the part.
Some of the industries that use iron phosphate conversion coating include:
- To the best of our knowledge, this product is California Prop 65 compliant.
Environmentally Friendly Iron Phosphate Coating FormulasMany companies use chrome-based conversion coatings, which are highly dangerous and considered a pollutant. NuGenTec products are cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and designed to clean and iron phosphate in one easy step. Our highly effective NuKoat formulas are easy to use and provide excellent corrosion resistance and create a superior foundation for powder coatings and painting.
We offer 5 stage iron phosphates for the most demanding jobs to simple to use one-step/no rinse iron phosphates. Best results are achieved with 3 to 5 stage processes: For more information, please see the charts under the product listings.
Iron Phosphate Coating ProcessesDifferent methods of phosphating provide different results. A single-stage process is best for general use and interior applications requiring a lower level of protection. We recommend multi-stage iron phosphate conversion coating for advanced applications needed a superior level of paint adhesion.
1-Stage Iron Phosphate Coating ProcessA one-step process is the fastest and provides a standard level of protection. There are two options for performing this iron phosphate coating process.
- Processing Step Option 1: Surface Preparation of ferrous, non-ferrous metals and plastics without Phosphating. The formulas required for this process include Ultra Seal 1, Final Rinse 2, Final Seal 8, and Final Seal DG.
- Processing Step Option 2: Clean and iron phosphate using spray or immersion without the need for a final rinse. The formula required for this process is NuKoat NR-MF.
2 and 3 Stage Iron Phosphate Coating ProcessesThe two- and three-step processes involve pre-cleaning the surface with a degreaser, rinsing the product, then phosphating. Degreasing removes residual oil from the material surface for improved paint adhesion.
- Step 1: Clean and Phosphate using spray or immersion methods. The formulas used for this step include NuKoat 55.
- Step 2: Rinse the surface with clean water using spray or immersion methods.
- Step 3 (optional): Apply a non-chrome final seal using NuKoat Ultra Seal 1.
5 Stage Iron Phosphate Coating ProcessesFive-stage iron phosphate coating involves cleaning, rinsing, phosphatizing, then adding a final coat. This multi-stage process provides superior paint adhesion and the highest level of protection against corrosion.
- Step 1: Clean the material surface using spray applications (aluminum or mixed metal), immersion/tank (aluminum or mixed metal applications), or spray and immersion (steel alloys only). The formulas used for this step include AquaKlean EF 105 MF and NuKlean STC.
- Step 2: Spray or immersion rinse the surface with clean water.
- Step 3: Spray or immersion phosphate the parts using NuKoat 55.
- Step 4: Spray or immersion rinse with clean water.
- Step 5: Apply a non-chrome final seal using NuKoat Ultra Seal 1
Eco-Friendly Iron Phosphate Conversion Coating FormulasNuGenTec offers several iron phosphate coating formulas to meet the needs of different surface preparation applications. View the Tech Data Sheets for each phosphating formula before use for instructions and safety precautions.
NuKoat 55Premium Pre-paint treatment for Ferrous Metals. Also capable of conditioning Galvanized Steel, Zinc and Aluminum surfaces. A low foaming, low-temperature spray (or tank) that provides one step that both cleans and coasts (iron phosphate).
- Our Best-Selling Iron Phosphate
- Does not contain solvents, Molybdenum or HF activator (hydrofluoric acid).
- Environmentally Friendly
- Highest Coating weights
- Lowest Foaming
- No Salt Build Up
- Fast Rinsing
- Ships as a Non-regulated Material "N.O.B.I.N. iron and rust removing compound."
- Coating weight procedures and process: 30-90 mg/ft2 coatings.
NuKoat 55 and 55T Meet FEDERAL SPECIFICATION: TT-C-490E: CHEMICAL CONVERSION COATINGS AND PRETREATMENTS FOR FERROUS SURFACES (BASE FOR ORGANIC COATINGS)
NuKoat 53 MFPre-paint treatment for Ferrous Metals. Also capable of conditioning Galvanized Steel, Zinc and Aluminum surfaces. A low to moderate foaming, low-temperature spray (or tank) that provides one step that both cleans and coasts (iron phosphate).
- Does not contain solvents, Moly (molybdenum) or HF activator
- Environmentally friendly.
- Faster Rinsing than our NuKoat 33 MF
- Very low salt buildup