FluoSolv® Safe, Effective nPB-Replacement
Why Replace n-Propyl Bromide?1-Bromopropane, also known as n-propyl bromide or nPB, is a brominated hydrocarbon solvent that was commonly used in a range of industrial applications, such as metal degreasing and PCB cleaning. For many years, this chemical was used as a less-hazardous alternative to trichloroethylene (TCE) and similar substances; however, more recent concerns over the potential carcinogenicity of nPB have led to a reevaluation of its suitability for use.
In early 2012, the ACGIH (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists) reclassified nPB as a “Confirmed Animal Carcinogen with Unknown Relevance to Humans,” and lowered the TLV-TWA (threshold limit value time-weighted average) of the substance to 0.1 ppm. Similarly, a U.S. Department of Defense Phase I Impact assessment of nPB identified it as a high risk due to potential worker exposure based on changing ACGIH, NTP (National Toxicology Program), and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) recommendations.
Non-Toxic Alternative for n-Propyl Bromide ReplacementFluoSolv products are a proprietary blend of non-flammable hydrofluoroether (HFEs) and trans-1,2-dichloroethylene (t-DCE) that is engineered for maximum solvency. It is a drop-in nPB replacement, as well as a TCE (trichloroethylene) replacement. It is also a safe, effective, substitute for Asahiklin AK-225 (HCFC-225) and other harmful chemical compounds, many of which contained now-banned ozone-depleting substances. We have a selection of tailor-made for specific requirements:
- FluoSolv CX the Vapor Degreasing Industry Standard
- FluoSolv Ten-X our most economically priced Vapor Degreasing and Cold Cleaning Solvent
- FluoSolv AP - Approved for Boeing BAC 5408 Vapor Degreasing Applications
- FluoSolv CAS - Our SCAQMD Clean Air Solvent, Zero VOC Solvent for Vapor-Degreasing and Cold-Cleaning
- FluoSolv WS - Specially designed for use as a Cold Cleaner or a Carrier Fluid.
- The toxicity of n-propyl bromide
- The chemical instability of n-propyl bromide
- The high level of Liquid Waste Generation associated with n-propyl bromide vapor degreasers
FluoSolv alleviates all the above concerns in one easy step. Request a quote on FluoSolv products for vapor degreasing, carrier fluids, cold cleaning, and flux remover, or contact NuGenTec to learn more.
Features & Benefits of FluoSolv CX nPB Replacement Degreaser
- No ozone depleting chemicals (ODCs)
- Drop in n-propyl bromide replacement; no equipment modifications
- Low global warming potential (GWP)
- Low toxicity = high allowable exposure limit (AEL)
- No ceiling on instantaneous exposure
- Chemically stable; will not acidify
- High wetting index (see below) delivers superior cleaning performance
- Solvant PCB cleaner
Proprietary Vapor Degreaser Formula
The blending technology used to produce FluoSolv leverages the chemical solvency of the fluid, as well as beneficial physical properties—such as high density, low viscosity, and low surface tension—for optimal performance.
“Wetting index” is a tool that NuGenTec has developed to engineer FluoSolv CX by selectively blending hydro-fluoroethers with 1,2-trans-dichloroethylene to create a high wetting index solvent. Our field data shows a strong correlation between the high wetting index and cleaning performance.