November 29, 2018
NuGenTec Made the First Product to Dissolve Barium Sulfate Scale, and Then Made it Even Better
When the researchers and developers and NuGenTec examined the exceptional performance of NuFlo® DeScale 433 in removing barium sulfate scale, they decided they could make the best in the market even better. From this effort, NuGenTec boosted the formula to make NuFlo® DeScale 533: the fastest and most efficient sulfate scale removal in the market.
NuGenTec’s NuFlo® DeScale 433 was the first product to dissolve barium sulfate scales in gas and oil pipelines. Read about it here:
PRESS RELEASE: NuGenTec’s NuFlo® DeScale 433 is World’s First Product to Dissolve Barium Sulfate Scale in Oil & Gas Pipelines, Flowlines, Formations & Tubulars
And this formula has been improved, making the most difficult scales in the industry easy to remove using NuFlo® DeScale 533.
Before delving into how the sulfate scales can be removed using NuFlo® DeScale 533, the new, boosted version of NuFlo® DeScale 433, it will be helpful to understand how sulfate scales form and why they are a problem.
In short, sulfate scales cause dramatic and costly oilfield production decline.
Why Are Sulfate Scales an Issue?
As a scale deposits around the well-bore, the porous formation media becomes inundated with sulfate scale and is rendered impermeable. In order to remedy the situation, many operations turn to such drastic measures as re-drilling plugged oil wells, replacing down-hole equipment, or even abandoning the operation altogether.
During water injection treatments intended to enhance productivity, sulfate scales can form. The following factors lead to this formation:
How Do Sulfate Scales Form in the Oilfield?
- Seawater injected downhole contains a high concentration of sulfate ions whereas the formation water may contain high concentrations of barium, calcium or strontium. The principal cause of the sulfate scale formation is an insoluble product created upon mixing of these incompatible water sources. Barium sulfate scale is the most common product of incompatible water mixing.
- During water injection, some scales will form due to temperature or pressure change.
- At the surface of the injection, the temperature is much lower in comparison to the high-pressure, high-temperature environment downhole. Some salts, such as calcium sulfate, have a lower solubility at higher temperatures. Thus, as a saturated injection water raises in temperature while dropping into the reservoir, it can deposit a scale along its path.?
Why is Barium Sulfate Scale Difficult to Remove?
Many scales have high solubility with mineral acids, such as HCl, and/or chelating agents. Sulfate scales, however, have low solubility in both mineral acids and chelating agents. As such, the volume of a standard chelating agent needed to solubilize barium sulfate is too great to be economical. Additionally, traditional acid descaling procedures can corrode components and aren't effective at removing sulfate scales.
NuGenTec has developed the revolutionary, patent-pending NuFlo® DeScale 433, which quickly removes sulfate scales, including barium sulfate scale, calcium sulfate scale, strontium sulfate scale, and magnesium sulfate scale. The new, boosted version of NuFlo® DeScale 433 is NuFlo® DeScale 533 and it has proven even more efficacious at the removal of sulfate scales than its predecessor.
How To Remove Barium Sulfate Scale
NuFlo® DeScale 533 has proven to dissolve sulfate and carbonate scales at the following dilutions:
NuFlo® DeScale 533 has been proven more effective at dilution than competing solutions have in concentrate, which minimizes downtime for descaling and uses less volume of descaler required for any operation. NuFlo® DeScale 533 has also proven effective in dissolving sulfate scales that are coated and/or interspersed with common organic deposits such as paraffins and asphaltenes. The performance of NuFlo® DeScale 533 can be enhanced further with the use of NuFlo® 187 to remove paraffins and asphaltenes prior to scale removal. Formulated with a proprietary dissolving chemistry with both polar and nonpolar solubility properties and a synergistic blend of chelating agents, dispersants, and wetting agents,NuFlo® DeScale 533 provides the fastest and most efficient performance of any scale removal solution on the market.
- > 150 g/l drilling-grade Barium Sulfate Scale (BaSO4)
- > 300 g/l Calcium Sulfate Scale (CaSO4)
- > 300 g/l Magnesium Sulfate Scale (MgSO4)
- > 300 g/l Strontium Sulfate Scale (SrSO4).
- > 80 g/l Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3).
NuGenTec: Redefining Chemistry
If you are seeking healthier, more environmentally responsible, and less costly alternatives for your industrial processes, contact NuGenTec